Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Promise Kept – Granddaughter Carries on the Warner Brothers Legacy

“It was an especially hot day at my summer camp. As I stood listening to my father on the phone tell me Grandpa Harry "passed on", a thud happened in my universe. I could feel myself grabbing for fond memories that were turning from color to black and white without the presence of my grandfather in them.

The last time I saw him flashed into my mind: He lay on a perfectly starched bed in an anti-septic smelling bedroom. A mysterious force drew me to him as if he were a candle in the dark. It was a gentle force. His eyes were opened and moved to take me in. A slight smile came across his lips. I watched his hand start to slowly move across the sheet toward mine. My hand immediately wrapped around his. The enormously kind look in his eyes embraced me as it always did. I felt his grip strengthen transmitting and sealing an important request—something of great importance was being entrusted to me. I squeezed back. A promise was made!” -Cass Warner Sperling

THE BROTHERS WARNER a feature-length documentary written and directed by Harry Warner’s granddaughter, Cass Warner Sperling, and produced by her production company, Warner Sisters is a completion of a promise to herself and her grandfather. It's an intimate portrait of the four brothers who pioneered the film industry--an ultimate rags-to-riches story of a family run business and the challenges they overcame to create a major studio with a social conscience.

Barry Meyer, Chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. recently screened THE BROTHERS WARNER. In his own words, “THE BROTHERS WARNER is a well-made, fascinating documentary. Cass has not only honored her grandfather’s legacy with this work, she’s also paid homage to one of the guiding principles of the four Warner brothers who founded the studio by producing a film that will educate, entertain and enlighten audiences.”

The film is based on the family biography, THE BROTHERS WARNER, a book written by Ms. Warner. A special 85th anniversary edition is now available on Amazon.com with twice as many photos and a new introduction, and a pre-released copy of the film is available on DVD on Warner Sisters' website.

No comments: